Search This Blog

Thursday, July 17, 2014

The needless suffering of innocence


I read a brief piece in my Google Plus news feed this morning that had a strong impact on me as it resonated deeply within my heart, causing me to reflect on the merciless suffering imposed by war.  

What appeared on Google was a paragraph and reference to an article that appeared in The Guardian.  I located the article and photograph of the child being cared for by the adults who had witnessed the atrocity of the wounded child.

I decided to create this post, combining the two, as a powerful indictment against war.

The injured boy cried in pain as the journalists cleaned and dressed the wound, wrapping a field dressing around his chest. He winced in pain, clearly embarrassed too as a colleague checked his shorts to look for unseen femoral bleeding. A waiter grabbed a table cloth to use as a stretcher, but a photographer took the boy in his arms to carry him to the ambulance.
 http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/16/witness-gaza-shelling-first-hand-account

Stephanie Doty
Weary of Wonderland
July 17, 2014
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/