Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Reflections on sharing MY birthday with America |Unbecoming to Become | A Celebration




My 66th birthday is Friday, July 4th. Although I've always felt 'special,' sharing MY birthday with this country's birthday, I feel the honor and privilege even more so THIS year. As I read and learn more and more about politics and the very fragility of the rights of the citizens of America, I have become inordinately disheartened by the many who've been elected to represent the best interests of ALL America's citizens. As I have faced the reality of politicians who can be 'bought.' I have had to face the troubling reality that many of these politicians could NOT care any less about the public's interests than they do.

I am deeply troubled that Leonard Peltier has not yet been freed; I am deeply troubled by the senseless deaths of far too many who have died as a result of guns being freely available to those who have no respect for the dangers of guns, much less respect for life that should be a critical factor in order to possess a firearm.

I have recently watched a video, Body of War, that shared information about Tomas Young, a vital young man who enlisted to serve his country, following the tragedy of September 11th. He BELIEVED what President Bush and his cohorts had to say about the war and young Tomas enlisted, believing what he had been told. He returned to America, a changed human being. He had been shot, resulting in paraplegia, no longer believing in the insidious lies and mis-truths that had been used to perpetuate the 'myth' about the necessity for the war. I 'met' Cindy Sheehan on Facebook and learned her son Casey had died senselessly/needlessly in the 'rich man's war.' So many people have been caused to suffer for no reason other than the monetary gains of a select few. People have refocused the attention from their grief and despair, as they continue to re-channel their pain, passion and anger into opposing needless violence and the senselessness of ANY war.

As I listen to people who, most assuredly, do NOT have the best interests of the citizens of this country as their political focus and realize that my country has perpetrated some of the most vile actions against humanity, among its citizens, as well as globally, I cringe and ache. It's been challenging to 'give up' my belief that America represents the best of the best. And yet, as I approach my 66th birthday, I feel enormous hope in my heart that America has a golden opportunity to learn from its tragic mistakes. I pray that our leaders do what is necessary to redirect our resources, our passions, our concern for ALL citizens who consider America home [despite its horrific mistakes and missteps of the past].

Although it's impossible to resurrect the dead, or to give back a young soldier's vitality and the full use of his body, perhaps our President has the courage and belief of a nation who so wants to believe, that he can find the courage, compassion and love within his heart to say "I'm truly sorry, Leonard Peltier; you were wrongly accused and convicted. You are now free to rejoin your family and loved ones. You are free to go home." Hopefully, our President does, indeed, possess the audacity of hope to steer our great nation in a new direction and stop the mindlessness of those who do not know what it means to possess the power to 'unbecome' the past so that we, as the great nation we are destined to be, become the land of the free, the home of the brave.

I cannot imagine a more wonderful way to celebrate this coming birthday than realizing -- once again -- the honor and privilege I felt as a young girl, sharing my birthday with this great country's birthday.

Stephanie Doty
Weary of Wonderland
July 1, 2014
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/