Search This Blog

Friday, February 28, 2014

Reality and Unintended Insouciance

"People who shut their eyes to reality
simply invite their own destruction,
and anyone who insists
on remaining in a state of innocence
long after that innocence is dead
turns himself into a monster." 
James Baldwin

For quite some time, I believed that my unwillingness to confront the harsh reality that I observed in some people’s behavior was one of my most prized character strengths.  It took me being emotionally eviscerated by an individual before I finally began to understand that I was wholly mistaken in my assessment of this tendency to ignore nonsense as any kind of strength. 

What I subsequently began to perceive was that I had used this ‘strength’ as a defense against confronting behavior to ‘save’ myself the challenges that can sometimes seem an inherent consequence of being honest.  It was never my intention to hurt anyone – anymore than it was my intention to save myself from suffering the cruelty of the toxicity of dysfunctional relationships.

Perhaps, if I am 100% honest, I was attempting to avoid suffering at the hands of people who simply did not care enough about me and/or my feelings to judiciously consider and weigh the consequences of their behavior as I ‘allowed’ their dysfunction to control my reactions.

I have tended to live my life, believing that I was responsible for most of the indignities I have suffered as a consequence of people’s toxic behavior because I simply did not deserve to be treated with respect or dignity.  For far too long, I suffered in silence, beating myself up where others left off.  I buried myself within in a ton of fat, masking my physical ‘beauty.’ 

I had learned as a young adult that I attracted men – most especially those men who were incapable of entering into healthy relationships.  Individual men who were ‘broken’ on some fundamental, caring level seemed drawn to me, as I was ‘attracted’ to them.  I seriously doubt any of these men acted consciously in choosing someone else who was as ‘emotionally stunted’ [as they themselves were], but nonetheless, I have never experienced anything like an emotionally healthy, loving, caring relationship.

I no longer believe I am unworthy of being treated with dignity and respect.  I no longer believe I do not deserve to be loved.  However, it is excruciatingly difficult to change a lifetime of dysfunctional behavior – even if that behavior is destructive and wholly unwarranted.

My challenge these days is forgiving myself for having wasted the precious years of my life.  This is a grueling form of transformation for me and I have not yet completely navigated this emotionally stormy aspect of living my life.  I continue to believe I am capable of doing what I must so that I am able to feel balanced in living the remaining years of my life.  And yet . . . I continue to struggle.

I have concluded that nobody is responsible for how I have failed.  Nobody is responsible for making me feel good about myself.  This is my sole responsibility.  While I am grateful for embracing this consciousness, I remain feeling stuck in the quagmire of my emotional maelstrom.  I continue to wonder what it will take for me to make all the necessary changes that will enable to finally believe and know that the past is the past and, no matter what, I cannot change any part of it.

I must simply ‘let go,’ stand in the moment and accept what is.

Stephanie Doty
Weary of Wonderland [originally posted in Until Next Time 09.09.13]
February 28, 2014
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/