Search This Blog

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Mirror, mirror I hold in my hand --

Life in His Language

James Baldwin:  His Voice Remembered

by Toni Morrison    December 20, 1987

Jimmy, there is too much to think about you, and too much to feel. The difficulty is your life refuses summation - it always did - and invites contemplation instead. Like many of us left here I thought I knew you. Now I discover that in your company it is myself I know. That is the astonishing gift of your art and your friendship: You gave us ourselves to think about, to cherish. We are like Hall Montana* watching ''with new wonder'' his brother saints, knowing the song he sang is us, ''He is us.''   Toni Morrison
My introduction to learning the importance of sharing who we are -- warts, beauty, joy, pain, gratitude and sorrow -- was Toni Morrison's book, The Bluest Eye. She set the stage for my later feelings of gratitude as I bowed at the accomplishments of Baldwin, Williams, Faulkner, Porter, Walker and countless others whose work I have read. These shared emotional journeys -- oftentimes into the darkest corners of ourselves -- have provided incredible opportunities for self-reflection. These writers have, perhaps, served me as soul guides in helping me to deepen my ability to feel and navigate . . . depths of emotion. . . as each writer weaves his/her magic through sharing emotional sojourns that seem to serve as a mirror of my own internal, emotional landscape.

Stephanie Doty
Weary of Wonderland
February 22, 2014

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/